Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Student government launches new website

At Tuesday's meeting of the Council of Representatives (COR), student body president Catherine Soler walked members through an overview of the new student government website.

Assembled by newly-appointed student union webmaster Frank Soler, the revamped site is intended to offer students easier access to more information on the projects being undertaken by the different groups within student government.

"Now it has more info about what they [the groups] are doing in student government instead of just contact info," Soler said.

The new site more clearly outlined the dates and times of student government events and meetings.

"We have a news feed that connects to our calendar. ... I think it would be great if [the COR representatives] could get all of our events together here rather than the individual group sites," she said. "We have our meeting schedule up, because all of our meetings are open to the public if people want to come."

In addition to keeping students up to date on upcoming events, the site will provide students tangible examples of student government action in the form of resolutions and initiatives.

"We put a page on here for the beND campaign, just explaining some of the characteristics of our administrations and ways to get involved," Soler said. "We have our resolutions available to download on PDF."

The various Student Senate committees' progress will also be followed on the site.

"For each of the senate committees we have the chairperson's contact information but also what they've worked on and what they're working on now," she said.

Outside of student government-related activities and information, the new site will contain links to information about the surrounding community.

"We added different things like Transpo information and ‘365 Things to Do inSouth Bend,' which is a blog," Soler said.

Soler said the site must undergo evaluation by the Student Activities Office before being launched officially.