Bengal Bouts: Preliminaries, 160 Pounds

Robert Powers def. James "Jimbo Slice" Bowers

After a slow first round, both fighters began the second round on the offensive. The bout had to be stopped to clean the blood off of the sophomore Bowers, who then returned to the fight with renewed energy. Bowers began to tire noticeably in the third round, and was no longer making contact with Powers. Powers then knocked the sophomore from Zahm across the face, leaving Bowers unsteady and in need of medical attention. Although the Zahmbie was able to return to finish the bout, the judges named Powers winner by unanimous decision.

Terry "Twinkle Toes" Howell def. Tyler "The Original" Christensen

Though the bout began with both fighters trying to pace themselves, the senior quickly took control and never relinquished it. Knocking the freshman's mouth guard out in both the first and the second, Howell was relentless. A clear unanimous decision victory went to the senior.

Matthew "It's Almost Wake Week" Labriola def. Tim "St. Broseph" Bossidy

Junior Labriola and senior Bossidy remained evenly matched through the first round, but Labriola quickly gained momentum in the second round, burying Bossidy with a flurry of punches. When Bossidy attempted to return the favor, the Alumni junior darted out of danger. In the third round, Labriola pushed Bossidy into the ropes, and the senior was unable to retaliate because of an apparent shoulder problem. Bossidy was able to finish the match, but Labriola won by unanimous decision.

Alec "Pretty Boy" MacDonell def. Alexander Yurkowski

Both freshmen fighters came out firing in the first round with aggressive strategies. Towards the end of the first round, the freshman MacDonell began to connect with a series of combos and gained the upper hand. The second round saw few punches landed, as both fighters began to deal with fatigue. Yurkowski came out strong in the third round, but ran out of gas as MacDonell staved off the assault and won by unanimous decision.

Mark "Ridin' Solo" Iandolo def. Christopher DeLillo

Iandolo and DeLillo kept the fight close for all three rounds, and neither faded before the final bell. Neither inflicted much damage on the other through the first two rounds, but a new urgency was apparent at the beginning of the third round, when it became clear that the match would be decided by points. Both tried to get in a few body shots in an attempt to collect points, and the senior Iandolo landed a few swats on the head of DeLillo. The judges unanimously decided to award the match in favor of Iandolo.

Pat "Boom Boom" Bishop def. Martin "El Matador" Sandberg

The senior Sandberg began the fight utilizing a series of jabs, while the sophomore Bishop unleashed a set of combos, for a relatively even first round. Bishop came out firing in the second round, putting Sandberg on his heels multiple times, and landing a few big punches. Sandberg came out strong in the third round, landing a few jabs, but Bishop was able to avoid Sandberg's attempts by moving quickly and with conviction in the waning moments of the fight, giving the Alumni Dawg a split decision victory over the fifth-year senior.

Ryan Alberdi def. Ian Sperry

Alberdi immediately took control of the match, knocking Sperry into the ropes early in the first round, and then throwing the Duncan freshman off balance in the final seconds of the first round. Sperry struck back after the break, striking the Sorin sophomore so hard that he tumbled to the ground. But Alberdi quickly rose and dealt a blow to Sperry that necessitated attention from the trainers. Both fighters were exhausted by the action-packed second round, and after a third round that was also interrupted for Sperry's nose, the judges declared Alberdi the winner by unanimous decision.

Dan "The Polish Hammer" Jasinski def. Peter Tenerielo

Both fighters began the match strong. The junior Tenerielo used footwork to avoid the law student Jasinski's punches, and connected with combinations to move ahead early in the round. Jasinski finished the round strong, landing numerous punches. In the second round, neither fighter could gain control, until Jasinski knocked Tenerielo against the ropes just before the bell.

The third round started off slow, but ended with both fighters trading blows. Ultimately, Jasinski took control late to earn the unanimous decision.