Bengal Bouts: Preliminaries, 182 pounds

Leo "Release the River" DiPiero def. Tim Kaiser

DiPiero took control early, using his height and wingspan to keep control of Kaiser throughout the opening round. Kaiser answered the bell with energy in the second round, landing several punches before DiPiero once again took control and went to work. The third round was all DiPiero's, as the sophomore hopped around his opponent, jabbing occasionally to keep the fatigued Kaiser at bay. The judges gave the victory to DiPiero in a unanimous decision.

Matt Enzweiler def. Keith "El Gringo Filipino" Arago

Enzweiler took control from the start, launching several combinations and immediately putting Arago on the run. Arago, a law student, was forced to grab and tie up the sophomore on several occasions. Enzweiler continued to control the fight in the second round, practically sprinting after Arago and pouncing on him when he arrived. Arago tried to win the fight back in the third and came out jabbing with a singular focus on the offensive. He was able to land several big shots to Enzweiler's head, but the late rally wasn't enough, as Enzweiler won in a unanimous decision.

Rich "Spooner" Neville def. Henry "Hank the Tank" Duden

Both freshmen came out cautiously in the opening round and attempted to feel each other out by trading a few jabs. The second round was much more eventful, as Duden came out firing and put Neville on the run. Duden was able to force his opponent into the corner, but Neville recovered and landed some huge hooks at the end of the round. The final round was a free-for-all, as both fighters traded blows with little regard for defense. In the end, Neville emerged victorious in a unanimous decision.

Tom "Son of Ted" Carnevale def. Mike Browder

In the final preliminary in the 182-pound weight class, Carnevale came out strong and forced the Sorin senior around the ring with quick jabs. Browder found his footing in the second round though and swung hard, connecting on several punches before the junior could tie him up. Carnevale recovered in the third round, and was able to come in close to throw several body blows under Browder's defenses. That effort gave Carnevale the win in a unanimous decision.

Mike "Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner" Urciuoli def. Erik "Big Country" VanEperen

In a classic battle of length versus power, power came out victorious as Urciuoli, an off-campus senior, defeated VanEperen, a Keough Hall sophomore. From the outset of the bout, VanEperen attempted to use his superior height and reach to keep Urciuoli at bay. VanEperen danced all over the ring, counterpunching Urciuoli at every opportunity. The senior, however, found success in getting inside the reach of VanEperen and landed a series of torrid combinations to the sophomore's head and body that won him the fight by unanimous decision.

William "The Captain" Paape def. Dan "The Throwaway" McMurtrie

Paape came out strong in the first round and never looked back. Paape, a sophomore from Sorin College, held a distinct height advantage over the freshman McMurtrie and used it to his advantage from the first bell, landing numerous huge punches in the first. In the second and third rounds, McMurtrie continued to wear down, allowing Paape to unleash multiple-punch combinations that left little doubt in the unanimous decision.

Tyler "Tuna" Plantz def. David Fosselman

Both fighters came out brawling in the first round and set the tone for the entire fight from the first bell. Both fighters landed good blows in an exciting first round. The second round was more reserved at the start but picked up towards the end as Plantz landed a series of combinations with Fosselman backed up against the ropes. The third round was appreciably slower as both fighters grew tired, and although Fosselman landed a number of punches, Plantz's torrent in the second round proved too much to overcome, as he won by split decision.

Rob "All Gloves No Love" Cimino def. John "The Eight Man" Heinrich

Heinrich, a senior from Duncan, attempted to utilize a distinct height advantage over the smaller Cimino, an off-campus law student, in the first round as both fighters looked fidgety. They danced around the ring early, and it seemed as though neither wanted to engage the other fighter. Heinrich, however, proved to be the aggressor throughout the first round and carried that into the second as Cimino was forced to counterpunch to perfection. The third round saw both come out hard yet clearly fatigued. Cimino, however, emerged victorious by unanimous decision.