Bengal Bouts: Preliminaries, 192 pounds

Pat "Brian" Griffin def. Dan "Miami Vice" Barrera

Griffin jabbed strongly from the opening bell, landing several punches and keeping Barrera on the run. Barrera took back control in the second round with an aggressive volley of sweeping punches. Both fighters seemed to fatigue late in the second round, but Griffin came back in the third round on the offensive and ended the fight with a final combo for the judges. The late heroics worked as Griffin won by unanimous decision.

Jack "Rabbit" Johnson def. James "The Bull" Durham

Both fighters came out on the defensive, though Durham was able to connect with some early body blows. Durham attempted to keep his momentum going into the second round by using his long wingspan, but was unable to land many of his attempts. Johnson kept things close and continued to pummel Durham's body inside. Johnson landed several big right hooks in the final round, which propelled him to victory by unanimous decision.

Matt "Don't Tell My Mom" Stolze def. Tom "Atom Bomb" Reilly

The senior Stolze bested junior Reilly in one of the most exciting fights of the day. Stolze drew blood on Reilly's face with one of his first punches, but Reilly recovered and knocked down Stolze later in the round. In the second round, Stolze was able to dodge many of his opponent's punches and counter with some jabs of his own while Reilly's defense was down. After a stop to clean his face early in the third round, Reilly recovered and chased Stolze around the ring, knocking him into the ropes as the final bell rang. In the end, though, Stolze was victorious in a unanimous decision.

Tim "The Brick" Wallace def. Nick Donnelly

Senior Tim Wallace claimed the last quarterfinal berth in the 192-pound bracket over freshman Nick Donnelly. Wallace dominated early, landing several combos before both fighters settled in defensively. The second round began as a melee, as both fighters threw relentless hooks with no regard for defense. Towards the end of the round both boxers slowed the pace, and the older Wallace took control. Donnelly came out strong in the final round, and was able to force Wallace into a corner and land some heavy jabs. Despite that final push, it was Wallace who won by unanimous decision.

Mike "The Bringer of Rain" Doran def. David "El Diablo" Diaz

Doran, an off-campus senior, controlled the bout from the bell, proving too fast and powerful for Diaz. Doran landed some strong blows in the first round including multiple combinations despite Diaz's game efforts. Doran came out even stronger in the second, pinning Diaz against the ropes and pummeling his body with punches, fatiguing the already-weary freshman. Finally, a series of combinations to the Diaz's head forced the referee to stop the fight thirty seconds into the second round, giving Doran the win by the referee stopping the contest.

Alex "Mac Attack" Macomber def. Aaron O'Dell

Macomber came out with a fury in the first round. The Siegfried senior landed combinations right off the bat and quickly had his opponent pinned on the ropes in the corner. In the midst of a flurry of blows, Macomber unleashed a right to the body of O'Dell that felled the law student. O'Dell stayed on the mat for a few minutes, and Macomber earned the win by the referee stopping the contest.

Bill "Italian Stallion" Straccia def. Joe "Van the Man" Vanderberg

Straccia used punishing body shots to score points off the skinnier Vanderberg in the first round and never looked back. Straccia, an off-campus senior, dominated the second round as well, pushing Vanderberg, a Duncan sophomore, against the ropes and landing a series of blows that forced him into clinches on numerous occasions. The third was more of the same as Straccia, despite the Vanderberg's best efforts, took the fight by unanimous decision.

Pat Handy def. Steve Bonomo

Handy came out in the first round with defensive tactics that served him well early, but he abandoned that technique in the second. This change in tactics proved to be the difference as he came out brawling in the second, landing punch after punch on the bewildered Bonomo. The junior from Siegfried continued this strategy in the third round, punching almost wildly at times, but it was enough to earn him the win by unanimous decision.