Closer reading is necessary

I don't usually react to Viewpoint articles in The Observer, but on Feb. 23 I read something so offensive I decided to write a response. In her letter "The whole story behind condemnation," Ms. Kincaid claimed a union between two homosexuals was against God's plan simply because they can't procreate, and something about homosexuality somehow being a pagan tradition. I wonder if she realizes Christmas is rooted from a pagan tradition called Saturnalia. Anyways, suggesting that somehow being a homosexual is wrong and saying it's not in "God's plan" in a religious university with homosexuals is simply offensive and downright degrading.

First she claims that the Bible can't be taken literally, then in the next sentence does the same exact thing she claims people shouldn't do. Are we to "find meaning" in Leviticus 27:1-7 where it states men are worth more than women monetarily? Or how about Deuteronomy 22:28-29, where a man who rapes a woman can pay 50 pieces of silver to her father and marry the girl? Besides the thousands among thousands of outdated oddities in the Bible, why do people find two passages and interpret them in a twisted way that supports their agenda?

Okay, so let's say that God's depiction of a union is simply procreation between a man and a woman. Through that logic, are we to say that a heterosexual infertile couple in a union is as "sinful" as homosexuality? Since they cannot "make babies," according to Ms. Kincaid's view towards the world, how is their union justified under God? How about the elderly, who can't procreate — can they not join in a union? How about the purposely childless? If they choose not to procreate, through Ms. Kincaid's logic, their union is not in God's plan. If procreation is the sole determining factor to a rightful relationship, then why even call it a relationship?

What about love? As a straight male who has several gay friends, it sincerely pains me to see that, in the 21st century, two people cannot express their love for each other without being degraded or mocked in society. Most of my gay friends are religious, and to denounce their love for God (probably the same God you all worship) and label it as second-rate compared to a heterosexual's relationship with God is disgusting and contradictory to the main doctrines of the Christian religion.

If taken literally, the Bible has lots of crazy things that will leave your jaw dropping. My favorite is 2 Kings 2:23-24, where a bald guy summons two bears to maul 42 children. So if you think by taking two simple passages literally can justify an anti-gay agenda, you might want to reread the Bible.

Ben Kim

sophomore

Alumni Hall

Feb. 23