Dance program to put on performance

Students will show off their best moves this weekend as the Saint Mary's Program in Dance will offer three performances of its annual dance production, "HappensDance," featuring the 2010-11 Dance Ensemble Workshop.

The performances are put together by Saint Mary's students, faculty and guest choreographers Beth LaBaren and Lena Polzonetti. Happensdance will be the premiere of Polzonetti's work inspired by the late Italian author and journalist Italo Calvino, according to a College press release.

HappensDance will showcase a wide variety of dance styles, including ballet, modern dance, tap dance and a kick-line performance to an arrangement of Beatles songs, according to a copy of the performance program.

Dance professor and Happensdance artistic director Indi Dieckgrafe said the name of the show derives from the diverse choreography and performances featured in the production.

"‘HappensDance' refers to a concert of repertory pieces that are independent of one another and are representative of several choreographers' creative ideas and inspirations," she said.

Dieckgrafe said HappensDance displays the commitment of an entire technical crew composed of Saint Mary's students, in addition to the 16 students performing.

"The dancers' dedication to arts in education demands hours and hours of strenuous work. It is exciting to witness this caliber of students as they discover their artistic voices," she said.

Senior Katie Brown said she is excited to perform in the production

"I am thrilled the Saint Mary's dance department has an annual concert for students to participate in," she said. "It's a great way for the dancers and choreographers to express their creativity and passion for dance and to share it with the community."

Dieckgrafe said dance enthusiasts of all knowledge and experience levels can appreciate the program.

"HappensDance offers a delightful sampling of dance to even the most timid of audiences," she said.