Fencing: Notre Dame remains undefeated

Coming off an undefeated performance at the Northwesters Duals, the Irish fencing team will travel south to Durham, N.C., this weekend to compete in the Duke Duals.

The Northwestern Duals was one of the high points for the Irish the season. Between the two teams, Notre Dame went 12-0, with the men winning five and the women notching seven victories. Seniors Avery Zuck and Ewa Nelip led the Irish to the win with an 18-1 combined record and hope to carry that momentum into this weekend's dual.

The sabre was the most successful weapon for Notre Dame at the Northwestern meet, but the epeeists and foilists had their fair share of success as well. The Irish will look to carry that all-around success into this weekend in Durham.

While this dual has a small field, it contains three other elite teams in Duke, North Carolina and Johns Hopkins.

Irish coach Janusz Bednarksi said that this weekend is critical in putting an exclamation point on the season and is important for postseason positioning.

"This weekend we are still trying to finish the season with good numbers and victories. We'd like to defend our national position in the polls," Bednarski said. "We are traveling to Duke with the men's team only but it will be very decisive for our position before the Midwest Conference Championships."

Bednarski said he has high expectations for this year's squad because of the chemistry amongst the team.

"This team is different from other years by big cooperation between the team," Bednarski said. "All the members are cooperating within the team much more than in years past, making us more of a family. We are winning together and losing together."

The Duke Duals will commence with the women competing on Saturday, while the men will hit the mat on Sunday.