ND Women's Tennis: ND sweeps Blue-Gray Classic

The No. 19 Irish dominated this weekend at the Blue-Gray Classic, earning three big wins against some of the top teams in the country.

The strong showing in both doubles and singles play secured 4-0 wins over both Virginia and Utah to go along with a 4-1 defeat over No. 23 Oklahoma.

The No. 2 doubles team of sophomore Chrissie McGaffigan and senior Kristen Rafael secured their first two wins of the season, defeating Oklahoma's Whitney Ritchie and Maria Kalashnikova and Utah's Evgenia Kryuchkova and Lexi Provancha.

The doubles team of juniors Kristy Frilling and Shannon Matthews extended their winning streak to four with their defeat of Oklahoma's top ranked duo, Ana-Maria Constantinescu and Alice Radu.

"Our doubles was key this weekend as we won all three doubles points," Frilling said. "Hopefully we can keep up this momentum for the rest of the season."

In singles action, Frilling managed to secure the winning point against both Utah and Oklahoma, with her defeat of Utah's Anastasia Putilina and Oklahoma's Constantinescu. She is now 10-0 on the season.

Matthews, ranked 43rd, won a tough match against Utah's Kryuchkova, defeated her in three sets.

McGaffigan was able to beat Oklahoma's Maria Kalashinokova, successfully ending her five match losing streak.

Freshman Jennifer Kellner secured her sixth straight singles win against Oklahoma, and also earned a pair of doubles wins with partner Julie Sabacinski.

Frilling was proud of her team throughout the tournament.

"We all played really well this weekend," Frilling said. "We played three tough matches and were happy to come out with a win. It was good for us to get some matches outdoors and play talented teams."

The Irish will hit the courts again Friday against Indiana.