ND Women's Track and Field: Freshmen lead Irish with top-10 finishes

The Irish held their own this weekend as they took on 46 of the nation's top programs in the Meyo Invitational at the Loftus Center.

The most extraordinary run was not by a Notre Dame athlete, but instead by Michigan sophomore Rebecca Addison in the historic Meyo Mile. Addison recorded the second-fastest women's mile time in the nation with a 4:40.62 finish.

Notre Dame boasted two runners that finished in the top 10 of the mile run. Freshman Alexa Aragon placed fifth with a time of 4:56.75 while classmate Kelly Curran took 10th, recording a time of 5:02.27.

Sophomore Rebecca Tracy was the sole Irish competitor in the Meyo Mile, finishing fourth with a time of 4:44.31.

Notre Dame's strongest showing came in the 1,000-meter race Friday night where six Irish runners finished in the top 11. Tracey took first in 2:48.18 and was followed close behind by freshman McKinzie Schulz in third and senior Abby Higgins in fourth. Freshman Kelly Curran and Aragon took fifth and seventh, respectively, while junior Allison Schroeder came in 11th.

Seniors Natalie Johnson and Higgins also performed well in the 800-meter run, finishing 10th and 11th, respectively, with Johnson edging out Higgins by only two-tenths of a second.

The Irish also had two top 15 finishers in the 3,000-meter race: freshman Meg Ryan and junior Molly Hirt. Ryan came in eighth place, running a 9:43.02, and Hirt took 13th with a time of 10:11.77.

The Irish will next be in action Feb. 19 at the Big East Indoor Championships in Akron, Ohio.