President prepares for state of SGA address

Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) discussed the end of the current administration's term, including the state of SGA address and spring allotments, at Wednesday's meeting.

Student body president Rachael Chesley and student body vice president Laura Smith will deliver a state of SGA address at 5 p.m. Wednesday in the Student Center Lounge. The address will replace the weekly SGA meeting.

"As student body leaders, we will talk about things we've worked on this year, things that didn't pan out, things we've accomplished and things we hope continue in the future under the next administration," Chesley said. "For instance, we would hope the next administration would consider holding the finance seminar before the allotment forms were sent. That is what happened this year, and it would have been better had we had the finance seminar prior to the sending out of forms."

Chesley said she hopes there is a larger turnout for the address than there was at the open forum held during the fall semester. Forming connections to the student body is important to the administration, she said.

"We want students to care about their student government and to come to this meeting to really know what we do and what we have done," Chesley said.

The next president and vice president, for whom elections are today, will be invited to introduce themselves to the student body at the address.

"Our goal is to have the smoothest turnover that SGA has ever experienced, from Friday when the new SGA president and vice president are elected to the end of our term," Chesley said. "I think it should be pretty smooth this year."

The transition period between administrations affects the financial deadlines for clubs' spring allotments.

In the weekly treasurer's report, SGA treasurer Meg Griffin discussed the deadlines the financial committee set. Spring allotment forms, sponsorship and travel grant forms are due March 7. Spring allotment appeals are due March 21.

"We made [the guideline sheet] clear and concise," Griffin said.

SGA will send a list of eligible items for spring allotments and the deadlines for paperwork concerning spring allotments to all club leaders, Chesley said. It will also be available on the SGA website.