SGA holds meeting for election candidates

With elections for student government around the corner, Saint Mary's Student Government Association (SGA) held a meeting for prospective candidates Thursday.

Another meeting will take place today at 2:15 p.m. in the SGA office. At least one member from each ticket must attend one of the meetings in order to be eligible to run.

The meeting was offered to those who wish to run for SGA, Residence Hall Association, Student Activities Board and Student Diversity Board.

One of the meetings was originally scheduled for Wednesday, but was cancelled due to inclement weather.

At the meeting, Laura Smith, student body vice president, explained the rules of the election.

Students were told when and where they are allowed to post campaign materials. Students also received election rules.

Smith said students must have a 3.0 GPA in order to run.

"If you do not have it, Patrick [Daniel, director of Student Involvement] and the Student Involvement people will be checking and he will ask you to step down from campaigning," she said. "The College is really strict on the GPA requirement."

In addition, students may not participate in a study abroad program during their term, which lasts an entire academic year.

Smith said in order to run for student body president or vice president, students must be a rising junior or senior at the College.

Dates were also announced for campaigning and Election Day.

"Your campaigning will start Sunday, Feb. 20 at 5 p.m. and then it will end that Wednesday, Feb. 23 at 11:59 p.m. No later than that," Smith said. "And then voting will take place Thursday from midnight to Thursday 11:59 p.m."

Smith said students must have their platform approved by SGA and the Student Involvement Office. Platforms are due Friday, Feb. 18 at 5 p.m. and will be approved by Feb. 19 at 9 a.m.

Smith said students have to pay for their own campaign expenses.

"All the costs with your campaigning is up to you," she said. "Don't save your receipts because you won't be reimbursed for anything."

Smith said she will act as interim Election Commissioner and will be responsible for approving campaign platforms and other materials.