SMC Basketball: Belles get ready for Adrian

After taking a road game at Albion over the weekend, Saint Mary's continues its sizzling streak to finish the season and will look to stay hot against visiting Adrian (7-15, 4-11 MIAA). The Belles (16-7, 9-5) have won their last two games and seven of their previous nine.

On Jan. 15, Saint Mary's traveled to Albion and came away with a 75-56 win behind a balanced team effort that saw five players in double figures. Junior guard Patsy Mahoney led the Belles, who led throughout the game, with 19 points.

"At this point in the season, we just want to be playing our best basketball as we prepare to finish out the regular season and head into MIAA tournament play," Belles coach Jennifer Henley said after the Albion game.

The Belles entered the game with four players averaging double figures in points – junior forward Jessica Centa, Mahoney, junior guard Maggie Ronan and junior forward Kelley Murphy. Murphy is also second in the MIAA in rebounding, bringing down 9.5 boards down per game.

Saint Mary's will look to take advantage of Albion's somewhat shaky offense to tie their record for wins in a season. The Bulldogs rank eighth (out of nine) in the MIAA in scoring, averaging just 50.1 points per game. Their offense is also prone to turnovers, averaging a league-worst -6.05 turnover margin per game.

The Bulldogs are led by junior forward Kellee Wonders, who at 8.3 points per game and six rebounds per game, leads the team in both marks.

This will be the Belles' last home game and second to last regular season game before postseason play.

The Belles will be playing in their second consecutive Pink Zone game, a nationwide initiative across women's basketball aimed at raising not only awareness about breast cancer but also donations to the Kay Yow Cancer Fund.

The Belles aim for a record-tying win tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Angela Athletic Facility.