SMC Swimming: Belles hope for win at tournament

The Belles (1-5) will wrap up their season this weekend at the annual Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA) championships, an event hosted by Jenison High School in Jenison, Mich.

Though the Belles have struggled this season, there have been bright spots. The team earned a victory against Alma on Jan. 29, their first dual meet win since Jan. 17, 2010, when the Saint Mary's defeated Albion.

Junior Audrey Dalrymple and sophomore Ellie Watson have also provided some impressive performances throughout the season. In the win over Alma, Watson earned first place finishes in both the 1000-yard freestyle (11:04.69) and the 500-yard freestyle (5:25.39). Dalrymple garnered a first in the 200-yard breaststroke by four seconds (2:31.23) and the 200-yard Individual Medley (2:18.51). She also finished second in the 100-yard breaststroke by just 34 hundredths of a second with a time of 1:11.39.

Dalrymple and Watson will headline the Belles' effort this weekend amidst a very competitive MIAA league, including Albion and Olivet, the host schools for the event, and Calvin, the 2010 MIAA champion.

The meet runs Thursday through Saturday, with preliminary heats beginning each day at 10 a.m. and finals each night starting at 6 p.m. at the Jenison High School Aquatics Center.