Soler reviews trustee meeting

Melissa Flanagan | Thursday, February 10, 2011

Student body president Catherine Soler updated the Student Senate on student government’s recent communications with Notre Dame’s Board of Trustees at Wednesday’s meeting.

Student government typically presents to the Board three times each year, but a meeting that had been scheduled for last week was cancelled due to snowstorms.

Student body vice president Andrew Bell said many of the trustees were unable to travel to South Bend for the meeting.

In place of the larger presentation, Soler and Bell met with one trustee. The information from that meeting will be sent to the rest of the board. Bell said the meeting would not be rescheduled.

Soler said one of the main points discussed at the meeting was communication between the University and the students.

They spoke specifically about e-mails the student body receives from University President Fr. John Jenkins, Soler said. These e-mails included those about the death of junior Declan Sullivan and the events surrounding the death of Saint Mary’s student Elizabeth “Lizzy” Seeberg,

“That’s an essential part of being a part of the University, and making sure students are a part of that,” Soler said.

Bell and Soler also talked to the trustee about the continued efforts of student government to collaborate with the South Bend Police Department. Soler said she hopes that relationship will continue in the future.

Soler and Bell also said they talked to the trustee about changes with off-campus representatives in student government.

“We’ve made changes to the Off-Campus Council and we hope that will continue to make things better in the future,” Soler said.

She said there is a need for centralizing the services that are available to off-campus students.

“When incidents arise off campus, the University doesn’t have one place to find resources right now,” Soler said.

Student government’s next presentation to the Board of Trustees will be in April.