-

-

The Observer endorses Palmer-Parsons ticket

Editorial Board | Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Taking into account past experience, preparation and overall feasibility of their platform, The Observer Editorial Board endorses Saint Mary’s juniors Cassandra Palmer and Maureen Parsons for the 2011-12 student body president and vice president respectively. Palmer, Student Government Association (SGA) missions commissioner, and Parsons, SGA campus clubs commissioner, have the most relevant experience to address the needs and wants of the student body. The ticket wants to address the “little things” around campus, which they believe will make the most difference for students.

Improving technology in the residence halls — including printers in each of the buildings — simplifying the process to receive club allotments at the beginning of the year and encouraging student involvement on campus events are the ticket’s primary goals.

Candidates for student body president and vice president have been trying to increase printers on campus in the Student Center and residence halls for the past few years. Palmer and Parsons have plans to attack the issue that they believe will finally prove effective.

In preparation for their potential time leading SGA, Palmer and Parsons have familiarized themselves with the problems that installing printers would pose and they hope to team up with Information Technology for regular meetings to discuss the best approach to the situation.

Maintenance and financial issues have prevented past offices from successfully adding printers to the residence halls. In addition to improving technology, Palmer and Parsons plan to promote collaboration and support between clubs as well as improve the process clubs and organizations have to go through to receive their allotments for the year. Parsons’ past experience with campus clubs and current position on the Finance Board will help make a smooth transition for clubs seeking possible spring allotments and organization leaders who are new to the process. At the beginning of this academic year, several clubs did not receive funds, and were forced to go through an appeal process because of a lack of education in applying for allotments and sponsorships. Palmer and Parsons intend to have club socials and hold a financial seminar to help explain the process to club presidents and treasurers.

Finally, Palmer and Parsons hope to improve communication between students and SGA in order to increase student involvement and to hear what students believe to be the most pressing problems facing the College. SGA has held open forums in the past, but they have mostly resulted in low attendance and little feedback.

Palmer has suggested moving the meetings to the Student Center Lounge to make them more accessible. They have decided to continue supplying students with comment cards and encouraging people to make comments on SGA’s Facebook page.

Overall, Palmer and Parsons can bring the best experience to the office and they have prepared themselves to lead the student body.

The Observer Editorial Board endorses the Palmer and Parsons ticket for Saint Mary’s student body president and vice president.