Winter career fair postponed

Adam Llorens | Thursday, February 3, 2011

The cancelation of Wednesday’s annual Winter Career and Internship Fair due to extreme weather conditions has sparked both concern and questions from many students.

Sophomore Peter Thompson said the storm produced a dilemma for internship possibilities this summer.

“I am one of the fortunate ones who had an interview before the blizzard came on Tuesday,” Thompson said. “However, I would have liked to create a connection with a couple of employers at the fair on Tuesday to open up more possibilities for this summer and the future.”

Lee Svete, director of the Career Center, said weathering the storm would not be a wise decision with the high influx of employers coming in from the Chicago area.

“When Notre Dame cancelled the Board of Trustees meeting due to the blizzard, we took it as our cue to cancel the Career and Internship Fair,” he said. “If that level of leadership was going to nix their event, we thought it would be good to follow suit.”

Svete said he and his staff have begun contacting employers who were planning on coming to Wednesday’s event to inform them of the tentative rescheduled date.

“We are hoping to be able to hold the event on March 3, based on the availability of the Joyce Center,” he said. “We think we actually will be able to pick up more employers to come at the later date.”

In addition, Svete said he wants those students who had interviews lined up for the following weeks to keep an eye on employers they remain interested in.

“The résumés for students who had an interview scheduled remain on Go IRISH,” Svete said. “Some employers need to follow through with the application process, so we ask students to monitor those deadlines through Go IRISH.”

In addition to the Career and Internship Fair, the Diversity Reception will also be held tentatively on March 3, Svete said.

“March 3 is the ideal date for us all, as most, if not all, of our initial employers will be able to return to campus, as will one hundred percent of our sponsors,” he said.

The blizzard, which wreaked havoc on the entire Midwest, has created problems for the companies and corporations who planned on making the trip to campus. Svete said despite this, the event would benefit from a later date.

“Armageddon took over Chicago and O’Hare was cancelling flights left and right,” he said. “But, the make-up date of March 3 will make for a better Career and Internship Fair for all.”