Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Winter storm to strike area

The City of South Bend is preparing for the winter storm expected Tuesday and Wednesday and anticipates issuing a Snow Emergency in the next two days, according to a Monday media advisory.

One to two inches of snow could accumulate during the day Tuesday in St. Joseph County, with an additional 11 to 12 inches Tuesday night, according to the National Weather Service.

"In anticipation of the next round of heavy snow and ice, the city's Snow-Control Team met this morning with Police, Fire and South Bend Community School Corporation to finalize, in advance, strategies to deal with the winter storm expected over the next few days," the City's media advisory stated.

University spokesman Dennis Brown said Notre Dame makes daily weatherrelated closure decisions around 5 a.m.

South Bend Mayor Stephen Luecke asked all South Bend residents to plan ahead, exercise caution while driving, clear sidewalks as quickly as possible and avoid driving on all main thoroughfares once snow begins so plows can remove snow as quickly as possible.

The city will likely declare a snow clearance condition Tuesday, according to a press release. Parking is prohibited on designated snow routes during snow clearance conditions on snow routes marked with signs.

"Hopefully not, but if it materializes as bad as predicted, Wednesday may be the full declaration of snow emergency where we not only don't want people to park on snow routes — we don't want them to drive either," said Mikki Dobski, director of communications and special projects for the City of South Bend.