-

-

Bengal Bouts: Semifinals 192 pounds

Sam Gans, Vicky Jacobsen, Kelsey Manning, Matthew DeFranks, and Joseph Monardo | Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mike “The Bringer of Rain” Doran def. Alex “The Mac Attack” Macomber

In his bout with the Siegfried senior Macomber, the off-campus senior Doran brought the rain.

Doran’s quickness and agility allowed him to evade many early jabs from Maconber, coercing him into many swings and misses. The second round, highlighted by ducking and dodging, saw each fighter showcase their defensive skills, blocking each attempted blow and protecting their face. Near the end of the round, however, Macomber was put on the ropes and caught by a blizzard of punches from Doran, putting him off balance. In the third and final period, Doran chased Macomber around the ring, consistently dropping right jabs along the way. Ultimately, Doran advanced to the title fight with a unanimous victory.

Bill “The Italian Stallion” Straccia def. Tim “The Block” Wallace

In the first round, Straccia came out swinging and immediately landed a massive punch to fellow senior Wallace’s head. While Wallace, a Bengal Bouts captain, landed a number of nice jabs to his opponent’s head and body, his technique took a back seat to Straccia’s power in the first round.

To begin the second round, both fighters failed to make solid contact as they aimed to land big hits. As the round went on, Straccia managed to connect with a number of big hits to Wallace’s head.

In the final round, Wallace came in close on Straccia and threw some quality punches while his opponent showed his fatigue, swinging wildly but failing to connect. Both fighters posted an impressive round despite their clear exhaustion. Straccia won the bout in a unanimous decision on the strength of his powerful performance in the opening rounds.