Bengal Bouts: Semifinals Heavyweight

Sam Gans, Vicky Jacobsen, Kelsey Manning, Matthew DeFranks, and Joseph Monardo | Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Kevin Crepeau def. John “The Broker” Baumann

In the opening round, the off-campus senior Crepeau handled the off-campus MBA student Baumann with ease, neutralizing The Broker’s height advantage by hammering away with a barrage of uppercuts. The lefty Crepeau also used impactful jabs to stymie Baumann. In the second round, Baumann battled back a little, throwing a huge right hook but then leaving himself susceptible to a Crepeau uppercut that sent him flying down and into the ropes. Baumann got up and continued fighting until the bell rang. Crepeau threw one late punch just slightly after the bell and Baumann countered with one of his own. The referee separated the two and this exchange set up an intense third round. In the final stanza, Crepeau delivered vicious combos, landing right jabs and left hooks on the now battered and tired Baumann. Judging that Baumann could not continue the bout, the referee stopped the contest one minute into the third round, awarding the semifinal victory to the Bengal Bouts captain Crepeau.

Nathan Arnold def. Joey “The Alabaster Disaster” Hiben

Law student Arnold and off-campus senior Hiben got straight into the action, trading punches early before Arnold lost his balance and fell to the ground. Hiben established control as he pushed his opponent around the ring with his sweeping left-handed punches, but Arnold countered by landing a few punches of his own in the round.

Arnold carried his momentum into the second round, as he connected with Hiben’s head with a series of powerful punches. Hiben managed to get in a few punches before surrendering control of the round to Arnold, who sent his opponent to the ropes.

In the third round, Hiben was clearly affected by the hits he sustained earlier in the match, as his arms hung at his side, leaving his body defenseless to Arnold’s blows. Hiben persisted in throwing punches, but Arnold maintained control as the referee was forced to step in a number of times on Hiben’s behalf. Arnold emerged victorious following a unanimous decision.