Board hosts discussion with incoming staffers

Saint Mary's outgoing Student Government Association (SGA) hosted the incoming members at its last meeting of the 2010-2011 administration before their April 1 turnover.

Current student body president Rachael Chesley welcomed the new administration members in attendance.

"We're excited to look ahead and see what you [the new board] are going to do next year," she said.

Members of both boards participated in a "break-out session" to facilitate conversation between the outgoing and incoming staff. Current commissioners met with the new board members who will fill their respective position for the upcoming 2011-2012 academic year.

"We felt that having this discussion was important for all of us, whether we're graduating or just leaving SGA, because we're all SMC sisters," Chesley said. "By facilitating discussion among strangers that you just don't know yet, it lays a stronger foundation for the incoming administration."

Chesley said this discussion was not meant to push the ideas of the current administration on the new one.

"We don't want next year to do exactly what we did this year," she said. "We know that next year is going to be the best year ever."

Chesley's final activity as student body president was giving the board an update on the printer initiative and the LeMans Hall basement renovation.

"The printer has been delivered, and it will be installed tomorrow," she said. "The printer will be up and running on Friday, April 1."

This printer will be located in Holy Cross Hall and available to all students.

Chesley said the LeMans Hall basement renovation is almost complete.

"The TV and the DVD player are here, but we are waiting on the furniture to arrive before setting them up," Chesley said.

Chesley said she would send an email to all students once the furniture arrived and the basement was complete, which will occur before the end of the semester.

"This really is a great way to end our administration," Chesley said.

Other ongoing SGA initiatives include a fundraiser for tsunami relief efforts in Japan. Students can donate money in the collection buckets at every Diverse Student Leadership Conference (DSLC) event.

"We're just trying to help contribute to efforts to alleviate the terrible event that happened in Japan," Chesley said.