Council announces results, sanction

The Junior Class Council and Sophomore Class Council election results were announced Wednesday night, while the Senior Class Council results will be withheld until Thursday night due to a sanction.

Kevin Doherty will serve as junior class president and Nicholas Schilling won the position of sophomore class president.

The Judicial Council delayed the announcement of Senior Class Council results due to a sanction against one of the tickets. Parker King and his running mates Ben German, Alicia Elliot and Brinya Bjork sent a campaign e-mail through a residence hall listserv, according to a Judicial Council press release. The student body constitution prohibits the use of listservs for campaigning.

The Election Committee chose to invalidate eight votes cast for King's ticket, a number that accounts for around 10 percent of the number of rising seniors living in the hall that received the e-mail.

Judicial Council will announce the Senior Class Council election results tonight.

Doherty and his running mates for Junior Class Council, Megan Rodts, Kim Neary and Nolan Welsh, won with 54.75 percent of the vote, or 536 votes.

The second ticket, headed by Mike Weiss, earned 45.25 percent. 443 votes were cast for him and Julianne Crimmins, Mike Kress and Sean Hannon.

Doherty said he looks forward to next year and being able to participate in something he truly loves.

"I love meeting new people, " he said. "I love having a vision and having the opportunity to put it into place."

Doherty said his main objective for next year is to have fun, and he is glad the results reflect students' reactions to his ticket's plans.

"Throughout the whole campus I feel like people really resonated with us when we went and talked to them," he said. "They really liked our ideas."

Weiss said although the election process was time-consuming, it was a great opportunity to be able to run.

"It was really nice to get out and meet the class," he said. "And I got to spend a lot of time with three really great people."

Schilling will lead the sophomore class next year, along with Paul DiGiovanni, Mary Clare Rigali and Margaret Preuss. The ticket garnered 56.98 percent of the vote, or 596 votes.

The second sophomore ticket, Anthony Krenselewski, received 43.02 percent, or 450 votes. The other members of his ticket were Lizzie Helping, Jackie Picache and Alesandra Mendoza.

Although the process was tiring, Krenselewski said, he had a great time running

"We wish the best for Nick and them," he said. "I'm sure they're going to do a great job."

Krenselewski said he and the rest of his ticket plan to still be involved in student government.

"Hopefully some of the ideas we had in place will still get done," he said.

Schilling, a Keough resident, said he looks forward to serving student government with fellow Keough residents Doherty and student body president-elect Pat McCormick.

"It's really neat to be able to have that connection to the other councils beyond just student government," Schilling said.

The other tickets running for Sophomore Class Council made the election process a great experience, Schilling said.

"They were phenomenal," he said. "It made all the work we did that much more important."

Schilling said he thinks the next year has a lot of potential for Sophomore Class Council.

"We feel like we bring a really awesome ticket to the table," Schilling said. "Hopefully we will be able to move forward very quickly to get things rolling for next year."