Day One in the Dayton region

Five of the eight games in the Dayton region have taken place today, with Notre Dame-Utah, which begins in half an hour, the last until tomorrow.

Here at the Huntsman Center in Salt Lake City, No. 7-seed Temple just finished off No. 10 Arizona State 63-45. The Owls will play either Notre Dame or Utah at 9:30 EDT Monday for a trip to Dayton.

In Knoxville, No. 1 Tennessee destroyed No. 16 Stetson 99-34. The Volunteers were up 55-20 at halftime, so you could say they let up a little in the second half. You probably wouldn't say that, though.

After that was a much closer match between No. 8 Marquette and No. 9 Texas. Marquette, down for most of the game, came back at the end and narrowly defeated Teas 68-65 after a last-second Longhorn shot fell short. The Golden Eagles will face the Volunteers Monday in the round of 32.

In Columbus, No. 12 Bowling Green gave No. 5 Georgia Tech a good game, but the Yellow Jackets pulled away in the second half for a 69-58 victory. No. 4 Ohio State topped No. 13 Central Florida 80-69, a closer result than expected. Still, the Buckeyes advance to face Georgia Tech Monday.

The winners of the Knoxville and Columbus second round games will meet in Dayton for the Sweet 16.

The Charlottesville games, No. 6 Oklahoma against No. 11 James Madison and No. 3 Miami against No. 14 Gardner-Webb, take place tomorrow at 12:15 and 2:45 p.m. EDT. The winners of each will play Tuesday, with the winner advancing to Dayton play the winner from Utah.