Filling out the bucket list

We're back from spring break, which means that we are now in the last half of the last semester of the last year in college for me and my fellow seniors. And while I didn't ever go to Mexico, Florida, Puerto Rico or someplace similar for spring break (college foul, I know), I did make an epic road trip with my high school buddies this year, so at least I can cross something off my Notre Dame bucket list. The concept of a Notre Dame bucket list was always something that I had in the back of my mind. After all, we are only on campus for four years, it would be foolish to not experience everything that the school had to offer. However, apparently posters were being passed out a few weeks ago outside of DeBartolo with a list of 100 things to do before you graduate. Someone had finally created an actual bucket list! Of course, being the absentminded person that I am, I didn't end up with one.

So this is where you come in, Observer readers. I need your help. As someone who wants to make the absolute most of the next two months, tell me what else I need to experience here on campus. I would classify myself as a typical Domer. There is nothing particularly special about me, which means that I have a typical range of experiences as a Notre Dame undergrad. Academically, I have felt very challenged over the years, just like we all have. Have I pulled an all-nighter working on homework? Yes. Closed down the library? Check. Overstudied for an exam? Check. Understudied for an exam? Check. Skipped class for no reason? Not often, but it has happened (sorry, Mom). But, most importantly, I can look back and feel confident in my education and be proud of it. We all work hard here, and everyone deserves to feel good about it every once in a while.

Notre Dame's biggest calling card outside of the classroom is its sense of community, and nowhere is this more evident that in the University's Residence Hall system. I told the residents in my hallway at the beginning of the year to come to me with any questions at all about living in the dorm because I have seen just about everything there is to see (for better or for worse). In four years, I have lived in a triple, then a quad, then a double and now finally a single. Each has their pros and cons. I have seen roommates form lifelong friendships and roommates that can't stand to be around each other. At the time, I thought I was able to get away with quite a bit as an underclassman. Now that I am on the flip side as an RA, I laugh at how much people think they are getting away with.

Even in the broad scope of campus activities, I feel like I have experienced the essentials. I have (once) attended hip hop night at Legends. Once is enough. I have been at an off-campus party which got busted by the cops. Each year, I have traveled to at least one road football game. Twice, I've been to Pigtostal. And I have waited in line at both Sbarro and Reckers at 2 a.m. with seemingly every other person on campus. Actually, now that I think about it, going to Sbarro before 2 a.m. should be on the bucket list, because I don't know of anyone who has actually done that. I certainly haven't.

So what's left, Notre Dame? There are a handful of things that I can think of that I still have to do, but I am sure I am missing a ton of them. I haven't participated in the Fisher Regatta and I haven't run the Holy Half Marathon. I've never been down in the tunnels, even though I have no idea what the big deal is about them. They are just utility tunnels. I will never understand the fascination with them. And I've still never climbed Stepan Center. But beyond that, I don't know what else I need to do. So if you have an idea, send me an email or, better yet, write a "Letter to the Editor" and tell everybody what they need to do before they graduate.

Andy Ziccarelli is a senior majoring in civil engineering. He can be reached at aziccare@nd.edu