-

-

Former employee charged with attempted voyeurism

Observer Staff Report | Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A former University employee in Notre Dame’s registrar’s office was charged last week with planting a camera in a women’s restroom in Grace Hall, according to the South Bend Tribune.

Don Steinke, 52, was charged with attempted voyeurism. A woman discovered the hidden pen camera pointed toward the toilet in a bathroom stall last week.

Steinke was charged after several people reviewed a tape and identified him as the man who hid the camera in the Grace Hall bathroom.

University spokesman Dennis Brown said in a statement that the University acted immediately when the woman found the camera.

“University police acted immediately when made aware of this matter, investigating the complaint, arresting Mr. Steinke, disabling the system and working in collaboration with the prosecutor’s office,” Brown said.

“The University understands and respects that Mr. Steinke is presumed innocent, and does not make any judgment about how this matter may conclude. However, this kind of activity is abhorrent and obviously has no place here or anywhere in society.”

Investigators reported that Steinke admitted to placing the camera in the bathroom when confronted.

The South Bend Tribune reported that Steinke was an employee in the registrar’s office at the time of his arrest but is no longer employed by Notre Dame.