Liberating East Lounge

Garrett Campbell | Thursday, March 24, 2011

In response to Mr. Stein’s short commentary titled “Tradition of the East Lounge,” (Mar. 23) we have a few comments to make. We would like to open with the statement that we are students in the College of Engineering. Students in our course of study, along with business students, apparently never pick up any respect for tradition according to your words.

LaFortune was built to provide a convenient and useful location for the students of campus to socialize and enjoy each other’s company, as well as provide a few services on campus so we do not have to travel off campus. If you treat LaFortune as your sole study space and ignore the multitude of study lounges sprinkled about campus (and your dorms), you are being naïve. Especially if you are one of those ridiculous souls that acts like they are productive sitting in the booths surrounding the Huddle.

Every time our fellow engineers and we frequent the Lafun basement, we head straight to the East Lounge, specifically because it is quiet and we can talk and discuss our work without being bothered. In fact, other students studying in this space leave within a few minutes, most likely because they realize that our arguments and discussions are so important that we need the most focused environment possible, with the least distractions.

The reason your rules are “largely unwritten” is because they simply do not exist. But who are we to interject with our “imperialist, impolite noise.” We simply believe in the First amendment and our right to free speech.

And Mr. Stein and your fellow PLSers — there is this giant silent space, approximately 429,780 square feet worth, called the Hesburgh Library, and it is about 200 yards east of  “LaMent.” You should check it out sometime. Great for reading. They have some books available as well, most showing respect for Aristotle, Plato and Fr. Hesburgh.

Garrett Campbell

Knott Hall

Mar. 23