-

The Observer is a Student-run, daily print & online newspaper serving Notre Dame & Saint Mary's. Learn more about us.

-

archive

Local man acquitted in shooting

Observer Staff Report | Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A South Bend man was recently found not guilty of criminal recklessness for shooting a Notre Dame student in the arm in 2009.

The man was charged with one count of criminal recklessness, a class D felony, in Feb. 2009, according to court documents. The two-year legal battle ended last week when the man was acquitted on March 1.

The man fired his handgun through the closed front door of his home on Feb. 24, 2009, because he believed someone was breaking into the house. He said he acted in self-defense, according to court documents.

The shot hit a 23-year-old Notre Dame student in the arm as she stood outside the home. Court documents report she was trying to enter the home because she mistakenly believed it to be her own house.

The woman was treated at a local hospital and told police she was intoxicated at the time she was shot.