ND ranked as a top choice by parents

Adam Llorens | Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Notre Dame’s scenic campus, prestigious academics and vast alumni network have placed it amongst parents’ top dream schools for their children, according to The Princeton Review’s “College Homes and Worries Survey.” Notre Dame took the ninth spot on the list, falling from number seven in last year’s survey.
Director for Editorial Content David Soto said the strong response regarding Notre Dame among polled parents indicates the University is held in high esteem.
“We have been doing this list since the 2002-2003 school year, and Notre Dame has always been a usual suspect,” Soto said. “This year, 3966 parents responded to the survey question, so obviously they see the value Notre Dame brings to the table.
The Princeton Review is a test preparation and admissions advisory company primarily serving rising undergraduate and graduate college students. The Review based its rankings on responses solicited from parents of high school and college age students, and did not consider statistics like acceptance rates or costs of attendance.
Soto said high-profile rankings draw greater attention to universities and tend to increase the number of applications received.
“We have long been fans of Notre Dame, as they consistently appear at the top of many of our academic and social lists,” Soto said. “Students and parents realize this, and in turn many of them apply to Notre Dame.”
Freshman Kevin Strickland’s brother Danny is a high school junior currently looking at colleges. Strickland said he understood why Notre Dame appeals to his parents.
“My parents want him to go to Notre Dame because after my dad [graduated in 1985], he really enjoyed the community aspect of the campus and felt that was something important to have in a school,” Strickland said.
“Notre Dame offers an academic level that would challenge him and leave him with many opportunities after graduation.”
For senior and South Bend resident Robert Hayes Schafer, his father’s position as a professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering made attending Notre Dame a practical decision.
“Having grown up near Notre Dame for my entire life, I have always been a diehard Notre Dame fan,” Shafer said. “However, it would not have made financial sense to come here if my father was not working here. I had some generous scholarship offers from other colleges that were of similar quality, but with the tuition benefits that come with my father’s job, I was able to attend my dream school.”