SMC appoints alum as new VP for Mission

Love of God and care for others make up critical components of the Holy Cross Mission, and such Sr. Veronique Wiedower, CSC hopes to embody this sentiment as the new Vice President for Mission at Saint Mary's.

"I hope to create an open door policy in my role as Vice President," Wiedower said. "I want to maintain the bridge between the Congregation and the College."

Wiedower was appointed to her position March 15. She entered the Sisters of the Holy Cross in 1965, and simultaneously enrolled at Saint Mary's as an undergraduate. This was only the beginning of her experience and immersion into the Saint Mary's community.

Soon after professing final vows in 1973, Wiedower received her Master's Degree in theology with a focus in Liturgical Studies. Wiedower said she hoped to create an adjoining relationship between music and theology, which has aided her work in Campus Ministry.

Outside the Saint Mary's community, Wiedower has worked actively within the Sisters of the Holy Cross, serving as Member of the General Leadership Team from 1994 to 2004 in the capacities of General Secretary, Liaison to Initial Formation and Liaison to Liturgy Office.

Wiedower, who will take her new position June 1, said she has an important role in the religious mission of the College.

"[I will see that the] spirit of the College is still lived out," she said.

Saint Mary's president Carol Ann Mooney and Sr. Joan Marie Steadman, CSC, President of the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Cross, worked together to find the new Vice President for Mission.

In a press release, Mooney said Wiedower possessed the necessary attributes for the job.

"Sr. Joan Marie Steadman and I have mutually decided that Sr. Veronique has the gifts, experience, and wisdom to serve Saint Mary's in this important role and Sr. Veronique has graciously accepted our offer of the position," she said.

Sr. Rose Ann Schultz, CSC was the first person to serve as Vice President for Mission in 1994. Schultz took charge of rewriting the College Mission Statement, which continues to maintain the Catholic character of the College. The position was then handed over in 2009 to Sr. Mary Louis Gude, CSC.

Wiedower said she hopes to incorporate Gospel values, the abundance of Catholic tradition and the heritage of the Sisters of the Holy Cross within the Saint Mary's community. Wiedower said she also looks to nurture the relationship between the faculty, staff and student population at the College. 

"I want the Saint Mary's community to live the mission, and to feel at home at Saint Mary's," she said.

Wiedower said her faith has prepared her for her new position.

"God has always been there for me," she said. "The Spirit will get me through."