Track and Field: Five records set at Alex Wilson Invitational

The Irish excelled at the Alex Wilson Invitational over the weekend as five records were rewritten at the Loftus Sports Center in two days of competition.

An unattached Mark Hollis rewrote the first record of the weekend on Friday, with a finish of 5.63 meters in the pole vault.

Three more records were newly set on Saturday. Notre Dame alumna Molly Huddle ('06) set the first record with an 8:57.30 finish in the 3,000-meter finals, the fastest time ever seen in Loftus for the event.

The next record to fall was in the 800-meter for the Alex Wilson Invitational, set by Minnesota's Harun Abda with a time of 1:47.95.

Mary Saxer, a 2009 Notre Dame graduate, set a new standard in the women's pole vault with a mark at 4.26 meters.

Notre Dame senior Rudy Atang set a school record in the women's shot put, breaking her own personal best finish of 15.64 to rewrite program history. The distance, however, was only good enough to place her third in the event.

The Irish saw other notable performances on both the men and women's sides.

Senior Jasmine Williams took third in triple jump with a distance of 11.81 meters while freshman Michelle Brown came in fifth in the 400-meter race with a time of 55.03.

On the men's side, freshman Logan Renwick came in third place in the triple jump with a distance of 14.80 meters and senior Denes Veres shot put a distance of 17.58 meters to earn a fifth place finish. Junior Doug Onuscheck came in fifth place in the high jump with a leap of 2.01 meters.

The men's distance medley relay team came in third place registering a time of 9:31.99, qualifying junior Jonathan Shawel, freshman Patrick Feeney, fifth year Jack Howard and sophomore Jeremy Rae for the National Indoor Championships Mar. 11-12 at Texas A&M in College Station, Tex.