-

-

Chiddy Bang: Anything but an opening act

Kevin Noonan | Friday, April 8, 2011

One of hip-hop’s fast-rising stars, Chiddy Bang, comes to South Bend tonight to join O.A.R. in S.U.B.’s annual spring concert. Though some may be more inclined to see O.A.R., considering they have been around longer, but Chiddy Bang can’t be dismissed as simply an opening act.

The band formed in 2008, when its two members, Chidera “Chiddy” Anamege and Noah “Xaphoon Jones” Beresin met at Drexel University. The pair was soon featured on the music blog Pretty Much Amazing. They released their debut mixtape, “The Swelly Express,” in early 2009 to underground success and acclaim.

One song in particular, “Opposite of Adults,” became a widespread internet hit, and its inventive sample of MGMT’s “Kids” can be heard at parties on college campuses around the country.

The song is a good example of the unique style that Chiddy Bang brings to the hip-hop world. As the producer/DJ of the group, Beresin blends indie-rock elements with electronica and combines them with his artful skill at sampling, allowing Anamege, the MC of the group, to do what he calls some “good ole fashioned spitting” over the creative tracks.

As Chiddy Bang’s mixtape continued to gain acclaim, the band performed at college campuses across the country, earning them a large fan base. This fame caught the attention of some serious players in the music business, namely Kanye West, who featured the band on his blog, and EMI Records, who signed the group to a record deal in 2010.

The band’s first release, “The Preview,” is not meant as a full-length album, but rather, as the title implies, a preview to their debut. That said, the record not only shows great promise, but also is in and of itself fantastic. Outside the well-known “Opposite of Adults,” tracks such as “Truth” and “All Things Go” show Beresin’s fantastic talent at sampling and mixing music and Anamege’s incredible abilities in the depth and delivery of his lyrics.

Their debut album, “Breakfast,” is due out in early summer of this year. In the meantime, the band is about to set off on a major U.S. tour. Friday night, Notre Dame students may be able to witness one of Chiddy Bang’s final shows before fully becoming mainstream. Add this in with the band’s reputation for exciting college campus shows, and the student body is in for a once in a lifetime performance.