Ethnic Voices in Harmony

Amanda Gray, Megan Doyle and Sam Stryker | Friday, April 29, 2011

Here at Notre Dame, we are all the Fighting Irish. While we unite our community under this tradition, many students also take pride in their own cultural identities and act as a voice for minorities through the campus’ ethnic clubs.

These clubs dedicated to underrepresented cultures at the University find strength in the Multicultural Student Programs and Services (MSPS.) Twenty-three of over 200 student clubs on campus receive advertising, advising, and monetary support from MSPS. These clubs include cultural, academic and performing arts organizations.

At ND Minute, we asked how minority groups and the MSPS office contribute to life here at Notre Dame. We spoke to several students involved with MSPS clubs, ranging from the Asian American Association, Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MEChA,) and the Filipino American Student Association. Members of these groups commented on the strong sense of ethnic identity and active celebration of cultural pride on campus. In the middle of Midwestern Indiana, we found MSPS and these clubs provide a venue for students to empower themselves culturally.

While we all may attend the same classes, eat in the same dining halls and cheer on the same team in the stadium, Notre Dame students can celebrate their heritage with pride here at the University.

See you in another ND Minute.