Judicial Council vice president approved

The Council of Representatives (COR) approved the new Judicial Council vice president of elections at its Tuesday meeting.

Judicial Council president Susanna Sullivan presented freshman Caitlin Ogren, an American Studies and Spanish major from Pasquerilla West, as her choice for vice president of elections. Sullivan said Ogren would be responsible for ensuring smooth operations during next year's student government elections.

"The vice president of elections is charged with the duties of oversight and administration of the election, including but not limited to approving campaign materials, dealing with allegations and overseeing the election committee," Sullivan said. "She's also charged with guiding the hall election commissioners through the residence hall election process."

Ogren said she did not see any significant problems in the way the committee operated under the leadership of previous vice president of elections Michael Thomas.

"I feel [Thomas] led the election committee well this year," she said. "I don't plan to make any changes. I liked the way the committee was set up with the seven members."

Following an election season marked by a number of campaign allegations, Ogren said she understands her role in handling such allegations, but hopes for a less problematic campaign season next year.

The Election Committee delayed results during the student body elections due to violations of campaign rules. During the delay, the committee met to discuss the allegations and decide sanctions for the candidates in question.

As part of her new position, Ogren will be responsible for assembling next year's election committee. She said she would look for a group that can both debate and cooperate well.

"I think it's really important people are willing to say what they think and be okay with disagreeing with each other," she said. "It's really important they are willing to cooperate because it is a small group that has to come to a consensus in the end."