-

-

Men’s Golf: Notre Dame takes first in home tournament

Cory Bernard | Wednesday, April 13, 2011

With the sour taste of two disappointing tournament finishes lingering, the Irish returned to familiar grounds for Tuesday’s Battle at the Warren on the Warren Golf Course. Notre Dame played well on its home course, finishing in first place by 11 strokes.

The 18-hole tournament, played as a par 71, consisted only of Notre Dame and Detroit last year. This year saw the addition of Oakland, Bradley and Jackson State.

The Golden Grizzlies finished in second with an eight-over-par 292, well behind the Irish score of three-under-par 281.

Leading the way for Notre Dame was junior Max Scodro, who carded a 69, followed by fellow junior Chris Walker’s 70. Sophomore Paul McNamara III and freshman Niall Platt both finished at even par. The low score of the day came from Oakland junior Michael Coriasso, who fired an impressive 67.

Without junior Tom Usher, Notre Dame’s number one golfer who is out for over a month with a hand injury, senior Connor Alan-Lee assumed the fifth starting spot. Kubinski said he shot well on Tuesday.

“Connor played well for us,” he said. “He shot a 73, which is very solid. We actually ended up throwing his score out but that was due to how well we played overall.”

The impressive overall performance reflects the results Kubinski has seen from his team in practice recently. Kubinski said Scodro’s tournament score of 69 matched his effort from the team’s practice round at Warren Saturday.

Notre Dame is playing well at the right time, as the Big East championships in Palm Harbor, Fla., begin Sunday. Kubinski said the win at Warren served as a good tune-up for the tournament and assured his team the league’s top spot.

“It was good to get some momentum going for the Big East Championship,” Kubinski said. “We’ll be the No. 1 seed for sure. That said, seeding doesn’t really matter that much. You still have to play good golf.”

Kubinski said his veteran team is familiar with the course in Palm Harbor.

“I’ve been in six Big East championships since I’ve been here,” Kubinski said. “Plus, we’ve played it before and we’re pretty comfortable there. I think the course down there suits us really well. The guys are very confident.”