Men's Tennis: No. 24 Notre Dame wins three

The No. 24 Irish dominated all three matches this weekend with wins over Ball State University, Southern Methodist University and IUPUI.

"We had a great weekend," Irish coach Bobby Bayliss said. "Our guys played well on pretty fast courts at Ball State and turned it around today with a great effort in singles against an SMU team that will be heard from before this season ends."

Senior Dan Stahl, ranked 89th in the country, won his sixth consecutive match at No. 3 singles in the first match against Ball State, defeating junior Cliff Morrison 6-4, 6-4.

The Irish doubles pairs also came out strong in the match, claiming the doubles point with victories by all three teams.

Sophomore Spencer Talmadge and junior Niall Fitzgerald had the tightest match at No. 1, defeating juniors Zane Smith and Derek Carpenter 9-7.

Junior Casey Watt and senior Stephen Havens defeated junior Andres Monroy and freshman Austin Smith 8-4 at No. 2 doubles.

No. 125 Havens also defeated Smith in singles, dropping only three games.

"Stephen Havens has really matured as a senior and played very well in besting a good baseliner in straight sets," Bayliss said.

Notre Dame defeated No. 64 Southern Methodist University 6-1 in its opening match on Sunday.

The only dropped point for the Irish was the loss of the doubles point, but Notre Dame bounced back with strong singles performances.

Watt defeated No. 39 senior Artem Baradach 7-5, 7-6 (7-5).

"Casey Watt played his best match of the year in avenging last year's loss to Baradach 7-5,7-6," Bayliss said.

Havens followed suit defeating sophomore Gaston Cuadranti 6-3, 6-2 at No. 2.

The Irish also beat IUPUI 7-0 on Sunday at the Eck Tennis Pavillion.

Notre Dame started off strong again claiming the doubles point with victories at all three positions.

Talmadge and Ftizgerald teamed up for an 8-1 victory over freshman Joe Hammond and junior Bren Vasalakis at No. 1, while freshman Ryan Bandy and senior Sean Tan defeated sophomore Armando Diaz and junior Ivan Mojsejev at No. 3 by the same score.

The Irish will travel to Columbus, Ohio on April 13 to take on Ohio State, with first serve set for 3 p.m.

"The rest of the season consists of two big matches on the road, each 10 days apart," Bayliss said. "First are the Ohio State Buckeyes who are No. 3 in the country, followed by last year's Big East and NCAA round of 16 Louisville Cardinals."