ND Track & Field: Notre Dame gears up for full weekend of relays

After teaming up with Indiana to defeat their border rivals Louisville and Kentucky in last weekend's Louisville Border Battle, the Irish look to continue their success at three different events this weekend.

Notre Dame will compete in the Kansas Relays at the University of Kansas and the Mount SAC Relays in California, both of which start today, as well as the Dave Rankin Invitational at Purdue, starting Friday.

The Irish will only compete in the multi-event competitions at the Kansas Relays. Senior Justin Schneider and freshman Peter Kristiansen led the multi-event athletes by finishing first and second in the javelin throw last week.

Junior Maddie Buttinger finished fifth in the long jump and sixth in the high jump last week. She will be looking to improve and earn crucial points for the Irish women.

The Irish have 27 entries in the Mount SAC Relays, led by sophomores Rebecca Tracy and Nevada Sorenson on the women's side.

Both women are coming off first place performances in last week's races. Tracy took first in the 1500-meter race and Sorenson won the 100-meter hurdles.

The men in California are also led by two first-place finishers from the Louisville Border Battle. Junior Andrew Hills won the hammer throw in Kentucky and is once again favored to finish first this week.

Sophomore Jeremy Rae came in first place in the 800-meter run last week. This weekend, however, he will compete in the 1500-meter run.

Before last week's races in Louisville, Rae said he was going to use last week's event as preparation for the upcoming races in California.

"I'll be running an 800-meter this week, which is shorter than I typically race but will help get me prepared for my 1500-meter in Los Angeles next week," Rae said.

The fifth annual Dave Rankin Invitational will take place at Purdue's Rankin Track Friday and Saturday. The field will be made up of elite track programs across the Midwest including Notre Dame, Valparaiso and Purdue.