Observer awarded third at conference

The Observer won third place in the Division I "Newspaper of the Year" category at the Indiana College Press Association (ICPA) awards ceremony, held Saturday at Indiana University in Bloomington.

The Observer staff won an additional ten awards. Other University publications represented at ICPA were Scholastic, which won second place in "News Magazine of the Year," Dome, which won second place in "Yearbook of the Year" and The Juggler, which tied for first place in "Literary Magazine of the Year."

Former News Editors Sarah Mervosh and Laura McCrystal took second place in "Breaking News Reporting" for their coverage of junior Declan Sullivan's funeral and second place in "Non-deadline News Reporting" for their story covering off-campus relations involving the South Bend police titled "Students respond to arrests."

McCrystal also took third place in the category for her article "Gay alumni to present awards."

Mervosh, who currently serves as Managing Editor, took third place in the category of "In-depth Story" for her story "Victims, administration speak on sexual assault" and second place in "News or Feature Series" for "Muslim students at Notre Dame."

The Editorial Board of The Observer took third place in the category of "Staff Editorial" for "University should not impede activism."

Former Sports Editor and current Editor-in-Chief Douglas Farmer won third place in the category of "Sports Feature Story" for his article "Walk-on, walkoff" about former Irish kicker David Ruffer.

Former Managing Editor Madeline Buckley won third place for "Sports News Story" for her coverage of Fighting Irish football coach Brian Kelly's press conference following junior Declan Sullivan's death, "Kelly addresses Sullivan's death."

Photography Editor Pat Coveney and former Graphics Editor Blair Chemidlin won third place for "Special Section Cover" for their portrait of Fighting Irish linebacker Manti Te'o, "Family man."

Coveney and Former Photography Editor Dan Jacobs won third place for "Photo Essay/Picture Story" for "Notre Dame vs. Army game in NYC."

The Observer's award-winning submissions are available on its website, ndsmcobserver.com.