SMC Softball: Belles cancel pair of games against Albion

The Belles were forced to cancel a scheduled doubleheader once again Wednesday due to inclement weather, this time against conference opponent Albion.

Bad weather has hounded Saint Mary's (14-11, 3-5 MIAA) all season, leading to two cancelled doubleheaders and the postponement of several other games. The most recent rainout left Saint Mary's and Albion (16-14, 6-6 MIAA) with a conference matchup to reschedule before the MIAA tournament, which begins May 5. The Belles have only played one doubleheader in the last 16 days, during which stretch games have been postponed a total of five times. Even taking into account the perennial bad weather of the region, this season has been especially impeded by postponements.

"We are always prepared for rainouts and rescheduled games but the amount we have had this season by far exceeds any of my previous seasons," senior outfielder Hayley Bojorquez said.

After having their Tuesday and Wednesday matchups for the week rained out, the Belles are ready to get back on the field to face Hope (22-11-1, 9-1 MIAA) this afternoon. The matchup against Hope, which was originally scheduled for April 19, has been postponed a total of three times leading up to today.

The Saint Mary's players were thoroughly frustrated by the multiple delays and are eager to retake the field, Bojorquez said.

"At this point, we wouldn't care if we had to play in the rain," she said. "Rain or shine, we want to be on our field playing our game."

In addition to the still unscheduled matchup against Albion, the Belles have their senior day game against Olivet and an away game at Calvin on the schedule after they face Hope. Currently sitting at sixth place in the MIAA standings, the Belles will have to perform especially well against conference foes Hope, Olivet and Albion to keep their postseason hopes alive.

Weather permitting, the first pitch will be thrown against Hope at 3:30 p.m. at the Saint Mary's softball fields.