SMC Softball: Saint Mary's cancels doubleheader, will reschedule

The Belles' home doubleheader was cancelled this weekend due to rain. The matchup against conference opponent Olivet, which was scheduled for Saturday, has been postponed indefinitely.

The postponement is the third doubleheader on Saint Mary's schedule to be cancelled due to rain. The first two, a March 23 matchup against Goshen and a March 26 matchup against North Park, have yet to be made up, and this third postponement presents even more scheduling difficulties for Saint Mary's.

"We are having a tough scheduling time until then because they [Olivet] have three games next week and then we have Easter … so we might actually play it in May … but I am not sure yet," Belles coach Erin Sullivan said.

All three of the cancelled doubleheaders were Saint Mary's home games. The fact that the games against Olivet (10-14, 0-6 MIAA) represent MIAA matchups makes it imperative that the teams make up the contests before the conference tournament, which begins on May 5.

The Belles (12-11, 1-5 MIAA) have struggled lately, having won only two of their last 10, but hope to finish strong and salvage their season. Sullivan said that the postponement was beneficial to her team, as it provides some key players with more rest as they prepare for the season's final stretch.

"It is actually a good thing," she said. "A couple of my kids are coming back from injury over the last week, so it will be a good thing that we have a little bit more time off. There are a couple of starters that just need a little more time off."

Saint Mary's will return to action Tuesday when it hosts MIAA foe Hope in a doubleheader.