SMC-Tostal to feature outdoor carnival, concert

Olivia Brach | Wednesday, April 27, 2011

As Saint Mary’s students celebrate the end of the spring semester, SMC-Tostal will feature an outdoor carnival and a concert from performer Sean Kingston Thursday.

Student Activites Board (SAB) president Allie Courtney said the board worked hard to plan the festivities for SMC-Tostal.

“We hope to really unite the campus and get everyone out to celebrate the end of the semester,” she said.

SAB traditions chair Jessica Fitzpatrick said she hopes SMC-Tostal will remind participants of their pride in their identity as Saint Mary’s students.

“I think it will be a great way to end the year with all your friends and really enjoy being a SMC chick,” Fitzpatrick said.

The outdoor carnival will be held Thursday afternoon beginning at noon on the Library Green. The carnival will include activities for students such as a flipbook generator, an obstacle course, a Laser Tag arena, bouncy boxing and free give-aways. Free treats, including chocolate-covered waffles, pretzels and smoothies, will be available for students as well.

After the carnival ends at 6 p.m., the annual SMC-Tostal concert at the Moreau Center for the Arts will begin at 8 p.m. The opening act will be The Showoff Show, an interactive comedy show, followed by a concert with Sean Kingston.

Tickets for the concert are $7 and can be purchased through the Moreau Box Office. Courtney said over 800 tickets have already been sold.

SAB vice president Caitlyn Wonski said she hopes students will be involved in all the events planned during Tostal.

“My hopes are that the Saint Mary’s students really take pride in this large event by showing their enthusiasm and love for the campus,” Wonski said.