-

-

Students save dog from drain

Andrew Owens | Sunday, April 17, 2011

Carroll Hall residents and Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) averted a near-disaster Thursday when they rescued a dog from a drainage hole outside the dorm.

The dog, ‘Skippy,’ was briefly released from his leash while on a walk around campus before he ran into a small drainage tunnel near the D6 parking lot. The tunnel extended approximately 30 yards and opened at the opposite end in another drainage hole.

When the owners were unable to lure Skippy from the hole, they called NDSP for assistance.

Several Carroll Hall residents stopped to help the owners when they witnessed the crisis on their walk to dinner. Carroll Hall resident assistant Rob Wilson took charge of the situation.

“This man was just laying next to the sewer cap, yelling,” Wilson said. “I thought he was hurt. Once I realized his dog was underground, I figured that we should just do whatever we could do to help.”

Wilson yelled to Skippy from the opposite end of the tunnel.

“I shined a flashlight in there, and you could see his little green eyes,” Wilson said. “We tried throwing some cheese and a raw burger in there, but it wouldn’t take.”

The dog ran from one end of the tunnel and back and was not trapped, but he was reluctant to leave the tunnel itself. The crowd drew him out after about a half-hour.

“We had people on both sides of the tunnel making noises, and all [of a] sudden I heard a jubilant celebration on the other end, and we saw this little furry dog running around,” Wilson said. “He was the happiest thing in the world.”