Twisting the Trojan knife

Adam, Adam, Adam.

By now I'm sure you are aware that many people may find it hard to appreciate your prodigious love for the Trojans (Apr. 11). However, though I do not particularly like USC either, I cannot blame you for choosing the team you did. Though Notre Dame football's proud tradition of excellence and integrity becomes a part of many students' lives during our time here, the urge to root for the home team is a strong one. I myself am a lifelong Fightin' Blue Hens fan (that's Delaware, by the way), and I must admit that occasionally I find myself torn between these two proud teams.

Nonetheless, without the opportunity to go surfing and eat at In-N-Out Burger, football becomes one of life's biggest pleasures during the brisk South Bend autumn. There aren't even any good sledding hills around here, but I digress. It is sufficient to say that football is kind of a big deal. My only criticism of your column is that you could have explained your position a bit more tactfully. For example, the October 2005 game is, for many people, one of the most painful defeats in recent history. So you can understand the frustration when you refer to the "Bush Push" as Matt Leinart "valiantly plunging" into the end zone. Or when you mention that this heart wrenching, controversial loss was the only time you've ever prayed for divine intervention in football. This would be like telling a Red Sox fan how fervently you prayed for the ball to pass through Bill Buckner's legs during game six of the World Series. At times, the column feels a bit like apologizing for stabbing someone, while still twisting the knife. So please forgive those who judge you for describing "the fascinating events of October 15, 2005" in such glowing terms.

That being said, I really don't like USC. So maybe I am judging you a bit. Sorry I'm not sorry. And, as always, GO IRISH, BEAT TROJANS!

Dave Skorup

junior

Carroll Hall

Apr. 11