-

-

Weather Delays: Belles set to play Hope twice today

Observer Staff Report | Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Saint Mary’s postponed its doubleheader against Hope Tuesday. The game was postponed due to inclement weather and is rescheduled for today at 3:30 p.m. on the Belles home field.

The last two games on Saint Mary’s schedule have been rescheduled in response to the cold and the rainy weather that has blanketed South Bend. The first was against Olivet College, a home field doubleheader that is rescheduled for April 29. This is the second time this season that multiple games in a row have been affected by poor weather.

In their last faceoff during the 2010 season, Saint Mary’s and Hope split the series, Hope winning game one 5-4 and the Belles clenching the second game 8-4. Senior Ashley Peterson claimed her record breaking eighth home run of the season in the second game.

The Belles are currently 12-11 on the season and 1-5 in MIAA play. They have struggled in the conference, gaining their only conference victory against Adrian 1-0.

The next regularly scheduled game for the Belles will be Saturday against Kalamazoo at 1 p.m. Last year, the Belles defeated Kalamazoo soundly in both games, winning 23-5 and 30-6 respectively.

The Belles Senior Day will be Wednesday, April 27.

SMC Tennis

Rainy conditions and scheduling conflicts forced the Saint Mary’s and Indiana Wesleyan match at Saint Mary’s tennis courts to be cancelled Tuesday afternoon.

Normally, inclement conditions would move the match to the indoor Eck Tennis Pavilion after 6 p.m. However, a later start time proved impractical for the Wildcats (21-1) due to the travel distance.

After winning seven of their last eight games to climb into third place in the MIAA, the Belles (12-6, 5-2) were looking forward to a challenge from NAIA opponent Indiana Wesleyan, ranked No. 17 in the recent NAIA coaches’ poll.

Instead the Belles will use the extra time to prepare for their final match of the regular season against MIAA foe Kalamazoo College on April 26.

Following the match against the Hornets (6-10, 3-3), the Belles will compete in the MIAA conference tournament April 29-30.