COR holds final meeting, adds oversight committe

At its final meeting of the semester Tuesday, the Council of Representatives (COR) laid further groundwork for next year's student government by adding Oversight Committee chair Ben Noe to COR in a non-speaking capacity.

COR also approved selected students as members of the Judicial Council.

Noe, who formerly served as parliamentarian this past year, is heading a task force charged with evaluating and proposing amendments to the student government constitution.

Student body president Pat McCormick called Noe a necessary addition to COR.

"What [Noe will] be bringing is the ability to discuss the changes he's considering so we can discuss them here, because it's likely he'll be making changes that will affect all the branches of student government," McCormick said.

Noe said there is important work to be done on the constitution. He said his presence on COR would be helpful in explaining the technicalities of amendments and receiving feedback.

"I think this document can be improved in a multitude of ways and, over time, these changes can be made to make the constitution more effective and a cleaner document with more transparency," Noe said. "Being an approved member of COR would enable me to give almost weekly updates on the state of the constitution and to speak to the constitutionality of things going on in COR."

After Noe was unanimously approved, Judicial Council president Susanna Sullivan presented Morgan Pino as her choice for the new vice president for Peer Advocacy and also presented next year's election committee members. Sullivan spoke on the behalf of Pino, who is currently abroad.

"Morgan has been a peer advocate for the past two years and took a lot on last semester," Sullivan said. "Morgan has some ideas for making [peer advocacy] more accessible and a less awkward process for students."

After Pino received unanimous approval, Sullivan and Caitlin Ogren, vice president of elections, presented their selections for next year's election committee, all of whom were approved.

The new election committee members are sophomores Katie Hennessy, Kaitlin Kent and Connor Geraghty and freshmen Jacob Stanton, Dan Woods, Anne Egan, and Katie Nolan.