Graduates give College decorative clock for senior gift

This year's graduates will give the gift of time to their alma mater as their senior gift.

The Class of 2011 decided to donate a clock to the Spes Unica lounge as its senior gift, Senior Campaign member Colleen Lowry said.

"The [Spec Unica] clock is a large decorative clock that will be placed in the Spes lobby to remind Saint Mary's women that their time is precious and that they should take advantage of the opportunities that are presented to them in the four years they have at SMC," Lowry said.

Senior Campaign member Julie Laemmle said seniors voted among three options — the clock, a tree to be planted outside of Spes Unica and a scholarship for an incoming freshman. With a majority of the votes, the clock was the class favorite.

Seven members of the Class Gift Campaign, including Lowry and Laemmle, presented the gift to President Carol Ann Mooney at the Alumnae-Senior champagne brunch Monday.

Laemmle said she used her dedication to the Class Gift Campaign as a way to thank Saint Mary's.

"I enjoyed being involved in the senior class gift because it is a way to give back to Saint Mary's and show how thankful I am for the past four years," she said.

Although voting for the class gift ended last week, seniors are still able to donate to the Senior Campaign Fund. Members of the Campaign will be accepting donations throughout Senior Week and during the Tower Tours Friday.

Laemmle said the Class Gift Campaign is a chance for all classes to give back and show their support for Saint Mary's.

The Class of 2011 made donations to the Senior Gift Campaign throughout its four years at Saint Mary's and raised a total of $2,500. Twenty-four percent of the class participated, Lowry said.

Approximately $1,600 of those donations were contributed in April.

Both Lowry and Laemmle felt a special connection between their donations and future classes at Saint Mary's.

"I made my class gift because I know how important it is to provide future Saint Mary's women the opportunity to learn and grow to become as inspirational as the women that have gone before them," Laemmle said.