-

-

Men’s Tennis: Irish drop Big East title match

Kate Grabarek | Monday, May 2, 2011

For the second straight season the No. 30 Irish fell to Louisville in the final of the Big East tournament held at the Courtney Tennis Center.

The Irish advanced to the finals with wins over Georgetown and the South Florida while only dropping one match.

Senior Dan Stahl was a big factor in the Irish victories all weekend, going undefeated in singles including earning one of the two wins for the Irish in the finals.

Freshman Greg Andrews also earned a 3-0 record on the weekend in his Big East debut at No. 4 singles.

In the finals against Louisville for the second straight weekend the Irish dropped the doubles point with three close matches.

Junior Casey Watt and senior Stephen Havens picked up the only doubles win for the Irish at No. 2 defeating Alejandro Calligari and Robert Hall.

Junior Niall Fitzgerald and sophomore Spencer Talmadge lost to Simon Childs and Viktor Maksimuck 9-7 at No. 1.

Freshman Greg Andrews and Stahl fell at No. 3 doubles 8-5 to Austen Childs and Adam Donaldson.

Childs defeated Watt at No. 1 to give Louisville a 2-0 advantage with five matches still to play.

Stahl earned his victory over Simon Childs 6-3, 6-2 to pull the Irish within one point of the Cardinals.

Andrews knotted the score at 2-2 with his victory over Hall 6-4, 6-3 at No. 4 singles.

Andrew Carter defeated freshman Blas Moros 6-2, 6-2 to pull Louisville within one point of the championship.

Havens put up a tough battle against Maksimuk after losing the first set 6-2. He battled back to take the second set 6-1, before falling in the third 6-3.

Junior Sam Keeton was also back in the lineup for his match at No. 5 singles for the second straight week but his match against Calligari went unfinished as the teams played to decision all weekend.

At the start of the Big East tournament, Irish coach Bobby Bayliss was forced to drop his roster from his typical nine down to eight players, as senior Tyler Davis was taken out of the doubles lineup.

The Irish will now wait to find out if they have made it into the NCAA tournament when selections come out between 5 and 6 p.m. Tuesday.