-

-

ND Women’s Golf: Lady Irish host tournament

Laura Coletti | Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Irish will look to add more success to their season as they host 30 teams for the NCAA Central Regional Championship tournament starting tomorrow.

The squad has enjoyed both team and individual successes this season. Irish coach Susan Holt was named the Big East Coach of the Year, and junior Becca Huffer, senior So-Hyun Park and freshmen Nicole Zhang and Kristina Nhim were each named to the All-Big East team.

Notre Dame is also coming off arguably its best performance of the season and looks to carry this momentum into the tournament. The Irish placed first as a team at the Big East Championships, with three of the five Irish contenders placing in the top-10 individually.

Nhim led the way, placing third, while Huffer placed fourth and Park finished seventh. Senior captain Katie Conway, who finished 11th, said she was thrilled with her team’s performance at the championship.

“The team is really excited about our win at Big East,” Conway said. “Having Coach Holt named the Big East Coach of the Year and four of my teammates named to the All-Conference team is a great honor for our program.”

The Irish are also very happy to play at home for the regional championship, Conway said.

“Our golf course is in great shape and we are excited about playing at home,” she said. “While our ninth seed puts us outside the projected eight teams that will move on to finals, historically all top eight teams rarely make it and we are confident that we will be one of the eight teams moving onto finals from our region.”

The team as a whole is very determined to finish the season on a high note and complete what they set out to accomplish.

“Our goal is to get [to the finals] for the first time in program history,” Conway said. “And this year is the best chance we’ve ever had.”

Notre Dame is set to tee off Thursday morning at the Warren Golf Course.