Floyd not reinstated, but allowed to participate in voluntary workouts

Irish receiver Michael Floyd has been given clearance to participate in voluntary summer workouts with the team, but has not been reinstated to the squad.

The workouts, which are led by players and strength and conditioning personnel, began Monday.

"Michael has made steady progress towards modifying his behavior and he may participate in the voluntary workouts being conducted by his teammates as well as the summer strength and conditioning program, if he so chooses," Irish coach Brian Kelly said in a statement Monday. "However, Michael still has steps to take before he can be considered for reinstatement to our football team. If he meets the conditions I have outlined to him and he demonstrates improved decision-making skills, Michael will have the opportunity to rejoin the team for practices and games this fall. If he doesn't meet every criteria given to him, Michael will not play for Notre Dame in 2011."

The senior was arrested March 20 on campus after Notre Dame Security Police (NDSP) stopped him for running a stop sign near the intersection of Angela Boulevard and Notre Dame Avenue. Floyd failed three field sobriety tests and was then administered a breathalyzer test, which recorded .19 grams of alcohol per 210 liters of breath. Indiana's legal driving limit is 0.08.

Floyd is scheduled to appear in court Tuesday morning to face charges of operating a vehicle while intoxicated. He owns the all-time Notre Dame record for touchdown receptions (28), and is second in catches (171).

Since the incident, Floyd has been suspended from the team and Kelly said last week the receiver is either "all in or not" and will be either allowed to play in all 12 regular season games, or will not see action in an Irish uniform again.