Garcia improves to serious condition

After senior Marcus Garcia fell from his third-floor apartment window at Eddy Street Commons Thursday morning, his condition fluctuated between "critical" and "serious" throughout the weekend.

Garcia, 21, was upgraded from critical — the worst of five condition ratings — to serious condition Sunday morning, according to a Memorial Hospital nursing supervisor.

His family traveled from his hometown of Turlock, Calif. to be with him and Garcia's mother Kimberly said her son is making progress toward recovery.

"The most important thing that his friends and students should know is that he is in serious condition, but he is stable," Kimberly Garcia said. "That's the best news."

Marcus Garcia suffered injuries in the accident that restrict his verbal communication, but his mother said he is able to communicate well with his family by writing on a white board.

"He's a tough kid, and he's a fighter," she said. "All of his friends' love, support and prayers are being answered."

Marcus Garcia fell from his apartment window around 4:30 a.m. Thursday. His apartment at the Foundry Lofts and Apartments does not have guardrails or bars outside the window.

South Bend Building Commissioner Chuck Bulot said the city's building codes do not include any specific protection for outside windows. He said Eddy Street Commons meets all building inspection requirements.

"We feel really bad that somebody [was hurt]," Bulot said.

"From the building end, we make sure that the buildings, when they are erected and approved, they meet all of the standards. Eddy Street Commons has so far and will continue to meet those in the future."

Representatives from Buckingham Companies, the developer for the Foundry, did not return phone calls Friday.

Vice President for Student Affairs Fr. Tom Doyle visited the Garcia family at Memorial Hospital over the weekend.

"Each life is a gift from God," Doyle said in a statement. "Often it is life's fragility that makes us acutely grateful of the value of our own and others' lives. We give thanks for Marcus' life. Marcus is strengthened by this grace and reflects back to us the preciousness of our own lives."

Doyle said the Notre Dame community reached out to support the Garcia family during their son's recovery.

"While he is not yet permitted visitors at the hospital, Marcus and his parents are buoyed by the affection, support and grace of the Notre Dame community's prayers," he said.

Fisher Hall Rector Fr. Brad Metz will offer the dorm's Monday night Mass for Marcus Garcia, who is a former Fisher resident.

"I ask you all to keep Marcus, his family and roommates in your daily prayers," Metz said in an email to the dorm.

Kimberly Garcia said the family was optimistic about her son's recovery.

"I know God is good and will get us through this," she said. "My husband Juan and I want to send out our thanks for everyone's support and prayers."

Marcus Garcia is a psychology and sociology major, according to the Notre Dame sociology department website.