Girl Talk rocks the Block; students roll with the mashups

Legends of Notre Dame hosted its third annual B1 Block Party Saturday, featuring popular mashup artist Girl Talk.

Live music blasted throughout the night, but students were especially fired up for Girl Talk.

"Girl Talk was the most fun I've ever had at a concert," freshman Brian Donlin said. "Everything about the night was awesome."

Doors opened for the event at 5 p.m. Saturday, and the music kicked off at 5:30 p.m. with three opening acts: Chicago-based band Midwest Hype, pop-rock artist Tim Stop and student band Brian Powers & The Gunty Quintet.

Girl Talk took the stage around 9:30 p.m.

"Girl Talk definitely delivered," freshman Maggie Lawrence said. "The night was basically a whole-campus party."

Freshman Sean Paulsen, a longtime Girl Talk fan, agreed the performance lived up to the hype.

"Most of the stuff that he was doing seemed to come from on the spot," he said. "It was a really amazing performance."

While some students had never heard of Girl Talk before, the night's set list included many songs students were already familiar with.

One of the biggest crowd-pleasers was the song "Shout," originally released by The Isley Brothers in 1959.

Donlin said the song was "easily the best part of the concert."

"It was a total ‘Animal House' moment," he said.

Lawrence agreed.

"Everybody was singing and dancing by then," she said. "The crowd was completely into the song. They even got quiet when Girl Talk said so, then louder again."

Despite the concert's upbeat atmosphere, students expressed concerns about crowd safety.

"The crowd was pretty rough," Paulsen said. "I think I remember accidentally hip checking a kid into the fence. It was definitely crowded."

Some even had trouble keeping track of their friends.

"I lost my friends the minute I walked in," sophomore Johnny Romano said. "But it was okay because I spent the rest of the night with a bunch of people I didn't know. It was fun anyway."

Other students also said the large crowd made the performance more enjoyable.

"For a show like that you really don't want a crowd that's all low-key," Paulsen said "That just wouldn't be fun."