Notre Dame senior falls from third-floor apartment

A Notre Dame senior fell from the third-floor window of his apartment at Eddy Street Commons at about 4:30 a.m. Thursday, police said.

The student, 21-year-old Marcus Garcia, did not suffer life-threatening injuries, University President Fr. John Jenkins said.

"University officials were made aware of the accident involving Marcus early this morning and have been with him and in communication with his parents ever since," Jenkins said. "We thank God that his injuries are not life threatening and pray for his full recovery."

Garcia is a psychology and sociology major from Turlock, Calif., according to the Notre Dame sociology department website.

Capt. Phil Trent of the South Bend Police said an employee at a local bar saw Garcia's legs hanging out his apartment window above Jamba Juice as she left work Thursday morning. He fell about 25 feet onto the sidewalk below the window. She then called 911.

Garcia was in and out of consciousness while medics treated him at the scene for a severe head injury. His roommates were asleep at the time and did not know what caused him to fall from the window, Trent said.

Medics transported Garcia to Memorial Hospital, where he is in critical condition, Trent said.